Thursday, November 18, 2010

Piano Lesson day 3

The scene we read today offered a loooot more background information on their family. I had been wondering what the "Ghosts of the Yellow Dog" were, thinking that some Labrador retriever had killed a bunch of people or something. But now I know that it was actually some people who were killed when a train caught on fire.
When we first started reading, I thought this was going to be entirely historical realistic fiction, but there seems to be a slightly supernatural (or at least superstitious) element to it. I mean, there's the appearance of ghost of Sutter for one thing, and then Wining Boy told his story about standing on the railroad tracks and feeling the Ghosts of the Yellow Dog compel him to stand in front of a train. I'm not sure if this'll play a major role in the rest of the plot, but it would be interesting if it did.
Also, there was a ton of background on their family. About how their ancestors were slaves and carved the piano for a dying girl, and how Doaker and Wining Boy and a man named Charles stole it from Sutter. It offered a lot of explanation about the characters and I was glad of it.

I tried to comment on several different blogs (Rachel's, Alec's, Tylor's, and Trevor's) and it wouldn't let me for some reason, it kept making me re-log in, even though I was already logged in. Anyway, I'll try again later to see if it's just blogger being dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment