Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Piano Lesson Day #2

So far, I think I'm getting a pretty good picture of Boy Willie's character. He seems very selfish, like most young men are at around his age, but he also seems a little untrustworthy. He seems selfish because of the way he wants to sell the piano just to benefit himself, despite his sister's wishes, which are important to her. And untrustworthy because of all the hints that Berniece makes, like saying that he pushes Sutter down the well. Especially with the mentions of a man named Crawley being dead because of Boy Willie. Also, the way he acts around Maretha makes him seem more two-faced. He cusses and uses the n-word a lot with the older characters but acts super sweet to Maretha. And while it's good that he isn't a bad influence on the twelve-year-old, he also doesn't seem to show much integrity. He's a different person with different people, which is like the exact opposite of integrity.

I commented: "The N-word makes me uncomfortable too, I'm glad I haven't had to read it out loud yet. I don't believe that using it will wear it out and make it less offensive... I don't like the word." On Autumn's blog

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I also noticed that he was really selfish. After Avery's long story about her dream, Boy Willie changes the subject and immediatly goes back to talking about selling watermelons or the piano or something (can't remember which).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I disagree with the "like most young men are at around his age" part, Boy Willie does seem pretty selfish. It is also interesting how Berniece is rude to him, hinting about how untrustworthy he is. There is definitely a strange history behind them, and I'm curious about it.

    ReplyDelete