Sunday, February 26, 2012

Journal 6: Revision

   So I'm currently working on revising my rough draft. I'm focusing on making my theme really stand out, because the theme I chose is pretty obscure and inferential in Eyes. The person who read and critiqued my rough draft in class on Friday said she could not guess what my theme was from my pastiche, so I'm going to keep working on incorporating it into my piece with more literary elements. So far I've used symbolism/opposite-anthropomorphism pretty well to develop my theme, and some alliteration. I'm working on manipulating the reliability of the omniscient narrator. I think I need to next work on manipulating the mood/tone of the piece to really show the unreliability/bias of the narrator.
   Oh, and I also revised the dialect bits because my critiques said that it was hard to tell where they were from. So I worked on that, to make it more obvious. I even added the name of where the piece is set, so that should make it incredibly obvious where the dialect is from.
   I'm having trouble identifying the unifying elements in both my work and Hurston's that develop the same theme. Like, I know I'm mimicking her style well, but I feel like none of the styles I've copied directly help develop the theme. It's more just the plot structure that show the theme.
   Argh this is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment