Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Journal 2: Dialect

Asian (Korean) dialect
  1. The "th" sound is turned into an "s" in many instances (Think=sink, etc.), and "d" sounds in other instances (That=Dat, etc.)
  2. Misuse of the word "no" to make an action negative (You no do that)
  3. Many words are discarded altogether from a sentence.
  4. Phrases are clipped and to-the-point.
  5. Almost always use present tense form of words (June not sophisticate like you; I get nice sweater [yesterday], etc.)
  6. The ends of abbreviated words are dropped (Don't=Don', We're=We, etc)
  7. Often use exclamations of emotion (Aiyaa!, Tahh!, etc.)
  8. The "v" sound becomes a "b" sound
 My pastiche (more of a true story) is based on the section of TEWWG from the end of page 12 to the middle of page 13.

  "Hah, I know, I am pretty special."
  The words came out of my mouth without a thought to how Aunt Helen would react. I hoped for the best.
  Aunt Helen frowned and looked between my cousin and I in disapproval many times, before before voicing her disapproval.
  "Aii, Olibiya, you too self-center. I can hear in da word you say. You say, 'I know.' You no say dat anymore, okay?"
  "What? Wait, Aunt Helen, wait. What do you mean?"
  "You no say dat, 'I know.' Tah! You s'pose say 'Sank you, but I no sink so.' Okay? It call be modes'. You be modes'."
   Aunt Helen's words made my casual joke feel like a lead ball in my stomach.
  "Ah, Olibiya, it be okay. You no know better. But now know better. Good Korean girl be modes'. " She patted me on the knee and TJ muffled a chuckle. "You too, Tee-Jay. Good Korean boy be modes' too. So you bosse know say 'Sank you, but I no sink so' nex' time."
  "Aunt Helen, but– I mean, I didn't mean to be like that."
  "I know dat, dat why it okay. You good girl, you just need learn be modes' more. 'Special because you so beautiful. Tah, you so beautiful Olibiya."
  "Um, thank you. But I don't think so?"
  "Dat much better."

No comments:

Post a Comment