Monday, December 13, 2010

Analytical paragraph

"Othello: Get me some poison, Iago, this night. I'll not expostulate with her, lest her body and beauty unprovide my mind again. This night, Iago.
Iago: Do it not with poison. Strangle her in her bed, even the bed she hath contaminated." (179)

This passage is important because Shakespeare uses foreshadowing to increase the suspense in the plot. By telling the reader that Othello plans to kill his wife, it adds to the urgency and intensity of the play. When Iago suggests that he strangle Desdemona, it makes it even more suspenseful, because now he's siding with Othello, whereas before he was telling Othello to let her live. Of course, we also know at this time that Iago is lying to Othello about everything, which adds dramatic irony to increase the suspense. It's getting very intense.

Comment: "Thats a really important passage, you're right. Basically all of Iago's asides and soliloquies are really important because they show how cunning he is. And I feel the same way as Katie, it's amazing that Iago's getting away with this so easily!"

3 comments:

  1. I really like how well you almost debriefed your passage. Plus, I agree that the one you chose is very key to this section. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an important passage, I agree. It's insane that Othello would go to such an extreme case due to his jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great analysis! I agree, the conflict is rising at a rapid pace! Your comment is really what intrigued me, I was wondering the same thing. I am very curious why Othello is so quick to believe Iago and everything he is saying, with the lack of evidence. Also, on the flip side, he shows no trust in his just married wife, this is a major point the story hinges on, and it seems very unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete